Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Two years ago to the day


This is two years ago.
Exactly.
The last picture taken of Jack and I together.
We look happy and we are..
but there is fear too.
Fear of the unknown.
uncharted territories.
New lands.
A week from today.
Exactly.
I will take another picture with my son.
The first picture in two years.
I wonder what our eyes will look like then.
I think I know.
Reunion eyes.
No fear...just joy.
I can't wait.

Hey guys!
So, pretty much this will be my last email. I guess i will be writing next Monday, but i will be seeing you guys very soon afterward. I am getting really excited to see you guys. Leaving the mission will be hard though. I have learned so much here, and i have barely felt the time. What a strange experience it will be to be home again. To be honest, i feel in many ways, that this country is my home. I have lived here for two years, as the people do, and i have grown to love it. I have gone through so many character building experiences. Some of my saddest and happiest moments have happened here on the mission.
            Well, this week has been pretty good. This Tuesday Elder Dunkley, Pierce, and I wrote our final goals and experiences packet. That was an interesting experience. I have always watched my companions who were ending their missions write it, and it always felt like i would never be doing that. Then we had some tasty breakfast at Burger King.
            We were not able to teach Gabriel this week, because he was out of town working. We did talk to his family though. They invited us over to eat tamales, and even though i hate tamales, it was great to have the invitation. This week, being my last week, i am going to be eating with the members almost every day. There’s a lot of people who are going to give us cake too. That will be fun.
            Yesterday was an interesting day. It was very hot, as usual, and we had an extra meeting at the Church, which added a good 4 miles to the walking count. Anyways, almost all of our teaching appointments fell, which was a little discouraging. My companion and i sat on a rock to try and figure out what to do. I said a silent prayer, asking for the Spirit so that i could know where to go, and that the day could be a productive day. We got up and decided to go knocking doors. It didn't take more than two houses to find a man sitting on his porch. We contacted him and he let us in. We taught him about the purpose of live and then invited him to baptism. He accepted and seemed interested to learn more. After that visit we were prompted to visit a member in San Jose. Hours previously she had prayed to God, asking Him to help her know that she and her family were not alone. We were able to be the answer to her prayer.
            Experiences like that are many in my mission. I know that this is the work of the Lord, because not only have i received specific answers to my own prayers, but i have been able to see other have their sincere prayers answered. Learning about prayer has been a great experience for me on my mission.
            This Wednesday will be my last district meeting. I have really enjoyed the opportunity this last change to be a district leader. In a lot of ways i like it better than being zone leader. I feel like i have a more in depth influence on the missionaries in my district. I love preparing district meetings, because i find that i learn so much from it.
            Well, I think it is time for Question time. There’s a lot of them this week.
Lets start with Dad’s

You said you thought you would meet us at the airport.  Is that for certain?  I guess I was expecting that we would need to take a taxi to your mission office and pick you up there.  Will you please find out from President Torres where we should meet you?  And what time?
Yeah, that is pretty for certain. The mission office is very close to the airport. I can get there in like 5 minutes. I just think it would be pretty difficult for you guys to get a taxi and explain where the mission office is when you cant speak Spanish. Lol
I’ll get the details planned out.

If we need to take a cab to your mission office, what is the best way to pay the cab driver?  Will we need to get some U.S. dollars exchanged for Quets at the airport?  I assume so.  I doubt taxis are going to want to take U.S. dollars, right?  Do any stores take U.S. currency?
You guys will need quets. In the taxis, you don't pay until after, so i could pay him myself when i meet you there. The only thing is that he will probably charge you guys more than double. I am pretty sure i will be able to meet you guys there.

1. That would be great if you met us at the airport but when will you know for sure?
Um, this week. Basically it’s for sure.

2. Can we still go to the mission office so that I can bring a package to Elder Mays and take some pictures for his mother?
Yes. I imagine you guys are going to want to meet president Torres as well.

3. When you said "hallmark candles" does it matter what brand of candle? Does it need to be a Yankee Candle?
It just needs to be one of those candles that come in the glass thing. It definitely doesn't need to be fancy. Lol

4. Should I bring a couple of them for anyone else?
That would be a pretty good idea.

5. What are the ages of the children in the place you are living right now? Boys or girls?
Girl Year and a half
Girl 7
Girl 12
Boy 15
Boy 15

 
7. Do you have some taxi drivers that are LDS lined up and their phone numbers?
Kind of. There’s always the bus too. Lol
No don't worry about it, i will get some people.
 8. Are you going to buy a cell phone or two for us to use while we are there? How much money should I put in your account for that? Or do you want to wait until we get there?
There is a member that will let us borrow one for the week, so that’s taken care of.
10. Isn't your mom really prepared for this adventure and pretty awesome to boot?
Yes. So nerent to her
 11. Best thing/worst thing eaten?? yeah I will keep asking this to the bitter end.
Lol
Best would be the burger king cini minis. And the chocolate pie.
The worst would be tamales. Those are constantly gross.

12. HOW IS YOUR EYE???
GOOD: NERENT TO YOU!

13. Are you sure you don't need me to bring any clothes for you or anything?
No. Just a chick fil a chicken biscuit and pop tarts!

14. NERENT??
Yes!

Well, this has been a great week, and i know that next week will also be a great week. It will be my last week, but i will continue to work hard to help these people that i love so dearly.
Thanks for all the emails and you love.

Love,
Elder Winn
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment