Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nobody can attack my testimony

(This story is from my blog themomshell.blogspot.com and I added it so that you would understand the answer to question number 7 from Jack. Plus it has nothing to do with volcanoes or tropical storms or people who harass young missionaries, which is a bonus I think, because I've had enough of all those things.)

This is the view from
our hotel on our recent trip to Los Angeles.
Every time I plan a road trip I spend weeks on the internet agonizing over every detail.
One of the biggies is the hotel.
The hotel choice can make or break a vacation.
(well maybe that's a little dramatic but you know what I mean)
I drive myself crazy reading every review and trying to stay within a budget.
Not too cheap but definitely not too ritzy.
L.A. was really a hard one.
The bigger the city...the more options there are.
I asked Baby Davey what his thoughts were since he lived there for about 8 years.
I told him that I was considering a Quality Inn in Hermosa Beach
He said that it was a good choice.
The whole two days drive to get to LA I wondered and fretted over my choice of hotel.
We would be staying there for 5 nights so I wanted it to be decent.
And it was...
decent.
It had a view of the ocean...kinda
And it was roomy and clean.
I was proud of myself.
After we got home my husband received a phone call from our credit card company,
asking him to verify some charges that seemed unusual for us.
He was a very pleasant sounding man most likely based in India.
He starting listing some of the places that we had used the card.
"McDonald's in Fort Stockton Texas"...check.
"Hotel room in Demming New Mexico"....check.
"Welcome center in Willcox Arizona".....check.
"Cheap hotel in Hermosa Beach"......?
HUH?
My husband asked him to repeat the last charge.
"Cheap hotel in Hermosa Beach"?
Mr. T replied,
"Well I don't know about that...It wasn't that bad a hotel..."
"No Sir" the operate replied....cheaphotel.
"The restaurant."
C-H-I-P-O-T-L-E.
"Oh Mr. T. chuckled, Yes we ate there."


Hey everyone!
                So I hope everyone wasnt too worried that I didn’t write yesterday. We had zone conference, so our pday is today. We just got done having a district leader training meeting, and we have some appointments and an English class to teach at 4, so really it won’t be much of a pday, but there’s often too much to do, and not enough time to do it.
                Recently I’ve been thinking about my time here. Usually I don’t feel like I’m going home soon, but yesterday it all kind of hit me. Elder Richardson is making all his preparations to go home, and I guess that made me think that my time is coming soon as well, perhaps a little too soon. I only have 2 changes left, which means I will only have 2 more companions, or maybe even just one. I could see myself ending my mission here in Llano Largo, which would mean that this is my last area. It’s a weird feeling, and I’m not sure that I am ready for it.
                This last week went very well for us. We had 3 investigators come to church, and we’ve been trying to continue finding families. Marylou wants to get baptized but she has little support, if any, from her husband, and they are not married. He doesn’t plan on marriage either. That’s going to be a challenge. We’re going to have to pray and work a lot with him so that he can have a change of heart.
                Remember the grumpy lady? Well, I knew there was a reason that we had to keep visiting her. I had always felt like we needed to visit her, even when she continually offends me. She gave us a reference of an 18 year old kid named Luis that lives in front of her. We talked to him shortly and invited him to church, before even teaching him a lesson. Well, he came to church, and we had a great lesson with him about the Book of Mormon yesterday. I think he has a lot of potential, and I see a future missionary in him. I am glad that I kept visiting her, because there was definitely a purpose.
                We also taught an interesting lesson to this one younger family. It was a man named Marlos, about 18 years old, and his wife, and his mother. We taught them the Restoration, and I felt the Spirit as we testified of the great restored truths. At the end of the lesson I invited them to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. As Marcos was about to say yes his mother began to attack us with all the words and scriptures she knew. It turned out that she wasn’t listening at all, rather just trying to find things to fight about. For a good 20 minutes she frantically attacked us with all that she had. She then told us never to talk about the Book of Mormon again. At first I wanted to fight her about it, but something told me not to. When she finished I just thanked her for her opinions, bore my testimony, and asked Marcos again if he would read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. I think he was a little surprised that we didn’t try to defend ourselves from his mother’s accusations.  He accepted, and this Thursday we have an appointment with him. We’ll have to see how it goes. Nobody can attack my testimony.
                Okay, time is running out, and it’s question time!

2. Since you had some quality time with your new companion I want details...
3 Where is he from?
Oregon.
4 Are you getting along well?
Yes, we are.
5 What is he like?
He’s really quiet, but he’s obedient and he works hard. He really likes writing things down. I haven’t figured that one out yet, but he’s always writing things down.
6.Do you have a 72 hour emergency kit right by your door?
It more like a 24 hour kit. Lol I’m trying to add to it.
7. What is the first fast food place that you will eat at when you get home.
Cheap Hotel! Lol Chipotle!
8. Your mother is ____Nerent to Her!____(fill in the blank and use as much space as needed)

No comments:

Post a Comment