Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Monday, June 28, 2010

That Hurricane Was Something Big....

I have been thinking a lot this week about the week before Jack reported to the MTC.
In fact I wrote about it in my blog...
So I won't go into much detail here.
But it was a unique experience to have a hurricane pass over your house.
It was even more unique to barely notice it.
Because all you could think about was your son leaving for two years.
I thought that I lost a lot because of the hurricane.
I know I lost a fence...
some trees
some shingles

and some of the milestones of having a missionary leaving;
(my one and only missionary)
no open house...because no power
no sacrament meeting talk....no church meetings for two weeks plus our building was filled with a hundred missionaries camping out; using the baptismal font to wash off in, after hours upon hours of relief service in the community. Irony. No missionary farewell because a building full of missionaries.
No friends to say goodbye to Jack and pat him on the back and tell him goodbye.
No Houston temple to attend....closed because of the storm damage.
The storm uprooted massive trees...

twisted metal like it was paper

It was a perfect representation for the way I was feeling.
But like all storms.
It had an end.
And it had it's silver lining...
There was an amazing sense of community.
Neighbors helping neighbors.
Church members fulfilling sacred responsibilities to take care of one another.

 This is the cute family that came to physically check on us and assess our needs. Todd and I made our rounds as well to check on our assigned people, swapping shared stories of damage and the storm like old war veterans.
Missionaries out in the community sharing the gospel while helping out anyone who needed it.
My whole extended family living together for four days at my parents house; the only house that had electricity. Playing games, talking. laughing, eating food before it spoiled without refrigeration and giving thanks for the minimal damage we had experienced.
Using supplies that we had stored up because of wise counsel from our church leaders and making note of the things that we could use to do even better next time.
The Morton family in our stake who run the mission prep course and prepare a steak dinner for every missionary and their family before leaving who told us that no matter what the damage from the storm or what the power situation was THERE WOULD be a steak dinner for Jack....no matter what.
And they delivered...big time.
The stake president and his counselor, the bishop and others holding a very sacred meeting in that home where Jack was able to give his talk, play the piano piece he had composed for his farewell (at my begging request) and most importantly partake of the sacrament together.
Going through for Jack's endowments in the Mt Timponogas temple, a beautiful edifice, where his sister would be sealed to her husband 4 months later and it made me feel like a little bit of Jack was there.
 It was a unique experience.
Now as I anticipate the end of Jack's mission I realize that my storm had an end as well.
And the silver lining?
It is magnificent.

Hey everyone!
                Thanks for all the emails and the pictures. That's pretty crazy that Galveston is still trying to repair all the damage. That hurricane was something big.
                This week has been pretty good. I’m trying to remember all the experiences that we had this week, but it’s hard to remember sometimes. We had another lesson with the Flores family, and it seems as if the father still doesn’t want to get married. Our new strategy is to bring married couples who are members to share with them the blessings of Temple marriage.
                Speaking about the Temple, tomorrow we get to go with all the zone leaders. I am excited as usual. Going to the Temple here is amazing. I feel most at home when I go to the Temple. And it’s the only place I know of here that has carpet. You guys should be very thankful that you have carpet in the house. And hot running water. Here we just have cement, and if it’s a nice house we have tile. Every week we have to sweep all the volcanic ash that STILL finds it’s way into the house. Yesterday was a pretty windy day, and I managed to get even more volcanic ash in my hair. I think it will still be here when you guys come down here. That will be something to look forward to.
                Well, tomorrow may be one of the last times that I go to the Temple, because I may be going to Peten!!! At least I really hope I do. This week we had interviews with President Torres, and one of the first questions he asked me was where I wanted to end my mission. That question was music to my ears, and I told him that I wanted to end my mission in my first area, San Jose Peten, to try and reactivate some of my converts that have strayed from the path. He said that his question didn’t necessarily mean that he was going to send me there, but I think there’s a good chance. This next week is changes, and I am excited to see if I have a change. If I don’t that will be okay as well. I like it here in Llano Largo. No matter what I will be getting a new companion. Elder Richardson has 6 more days left in his mission, and I think he is ready to go home. He has been a good companion. His parents are coming down to pick him up. They have a really loose schedule planned, and want to go to peten coban antigua and the capital all in a week. I’m not sure it will work out. Which reminds me, you need to send me the plan that you guys have made, so I can revise it if needed.
                Anyways, I’m not going to lie, I really want to go back to Peten. It has by far been my favorite area, and I would love to end my mission there. Saturday at night they tell us our changes. Keep you fingers crossed.
                Yesterday I had a nest experience. We were teaching a new investigator the Restoration, and I began teaching. The people we were teaching are named Alfredo and Ilda, and they are references from one of the members. When the members give us references, we put in all of our effort to make sure they can feel the Spirit. Anyways, I started teaching, and I felt like I couldn't really get my point across. I was kind of stuttering in my Spanish, and I didn’t think I was teaching very well. When it was my companions turn to teach I said a silent prayer asking God to help me speak the words that He really wanted me to speak. Then when it was my turn to teach again, I felt like my tongue was loosed, and that I could say all the things that I needed too. I also noticed that they were paying a lot more attention to me. For me it was yet another testimony that God answers our prayers, and that this is His work. It was a simple experience, but it impacted me.
                Well, lets go and do question time!
1.       Did you get your package yet? (told you I would keep asking)
Yes, and no. It’s at the office, but tomorrow i will be getting it! Thanks!!

2. WHEN IS YOUR RELEASE DATE AND CAN I BUY THE TICKETS YET??
It never changed. It-s still the 28th, so yes you can buy the tickets.

3. Do you think you will be transferred at change time?
YES! Well, i don't know, because that would mean they would have to put 2 new elders in. But that could happen. I hope so.
 
6. Do you think that you will get to go to Peten the last change?
hopefully!

7. Do you think that your awesome mother will be too hot in Peten?
It is very very hot there in peten!

8. What was the best thing you ate this week? The worst?
The best was a steak dinner that the lady we lived with gave us. She also gave us ceviche! Which is relaly good. It’s raw shrimp with tomato and lots of lime.
The worst was some chicken that i think went bad. Ewwww that’s raw chicken!!!! Lol

Well, thank you for everything. You guys are an awesome family and I love you guys very much. Have a great week! And a Happy 4th of July!

Love,
Elder Winn

PS Happy birthday to meeeeeee! In a week!!
=)


No comments:

Post a Comment