Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I know they are waiting for me.


I bought tickets last week to go to a place
I NEVER thought I wanted to go to.
Before May of 2008 I could not have identified it on a map.
I could not have given any facts or information about it.
I was not even sure how to spell it.
Now I am flying there in 10 weeks.
I cheered when their Olympic team of 2 entered the stadium.
I look for and buy bananas that are grown there.
I know the local time and weather at all times with a widget on my computer screen.
Pictures of it adorn my house.
A nativity set made there sits on my piano year round.
I ask everyone that I suspect could be from there where they are from.
I care about the people who live there.
I dream about this place on a regular basis.
 and 10 weeks tomorrow I will board a plane and fly there.
As far away as it has seemed it is actually closer to my home than Salt Lake City.
The flight 10 minutes shorter.
What an adventure this will be.
Guatemala here we come....
and we will be looking for this young man.


Hey everyone! Thanks for all the emails. It is great to hear from you.
                Well, this email may be a little short because I am going to try and give as much commentary about the travel plans as possible. I am getting pretty excited about this trip. You guys are going to love Guatemala. This country is beautiful.
                Well, this week went well. We were able to teach a lot of lessons and find some investigators. Only the Flores family went to church though. We had an interesting lesson with them yesterday. We invited them for the 50th time to get married and baptized, but no matter what we do or say Ivan wont really budge. He says that we don’t understand because we are too young. I think he is making the whole marriage thing into a problem that is a lot bigger than it really is. We talked to Meri, and she has told us that there isn’t really a problem. He just doesn’t really want to get married. We are going to schedule an appointment with the Bishop for them. I think he may be able to help a little.
                Luis told us this week that he doesn’t want to talk to us anymore. That was a little disappointing. He knows that the Church is true, and he tries to disprove it to himself. He has fear of changing his life to be able to keep the commandments. Cases like his are sad, because he knows the truth, and is denying it because he just doesn’t want to change. I hope someday he accepts the missionaries again, and changes his life to be able to receive his salvation.
                Who else, Leonardo and Aracely didn’t go to church. We aren’t really sure if they want to . Right now we are focusing on their son, Miguel, who is 17. He really likes the church and our teachings, and told us that he is willing to be baptized. He didn’t go to church this week, but he has before. He is looking like our most positive investigator.
                All in all we just need to find new people to teach. At of all my areas this has been the most challenging, and I have been here for the most time. I like it here, but it is very hard for me to help these people understand. I have been through dozens and dozens of investigators here, but they all seem to fall away.  
                Even though it’s tough here, we are determined to find the families that are ready to hear the Gospel. I know that the Lord is preparing people, and I will diligently search them out. We have a very strong desire to find these people and help them.
                I am excited to find these people. I know they are waiting for me.

1.       Which of the days do we spend in Peten?
The same ones that you planned.
2.       Do you want to spend a night in antigua or just drive there and then drive back to the capital the same day?
Well, that depends on how much time you guys want to spent in Antigua. To be honest, I don’t remember it too much, but I remember that it was cool.
3.       Is there a hotel in Flores that you have heard the people talk about that is nice?
Theres the one that President stays at. I have heard it is pretty nice. Its really close to Flores.
4.       Would going to see that place that is famous in Coban be a possibility? Can't remember the name but you sent some beautiful pictures. Would you want to go back and see it?
Semuc Champey would be awesome to see again. I think it would be possible, but we we would have to be in a bus a lot. Well, not too much, but a decent amount of time. Some if it maybe at night.   But semuc Chapey is very cool.  
5.       Do you have any interest in Lake Atitlan?
Yes, I think that would be cool.
6.       Who's the best travel agent/mom in the world?
Lol, nerent to her.
7.       What am I going to eat there????
McDonnalds, unless you want me to have the members prepare you pig face stew. lol
8.       What was the best thing you ate this week/ worst?
The best thing was Smores! I made them with the chocolate you guys gave me! Thanks! The worst thing I ate was a drink made from boiled corn starch and sugar. It was gross.
9.       Can or should I bring my laptop?
Well, if you want to. Im not sure I would. This is the most dangerous country in the world. =)
10.   Can we buy two cheap cell phones to use while we are there?
Yes, they are about 10 dollars each, and they come with 10 dollars of air time, so they’re basically free.

How did you and Elder Vasquez do on your goal to find 3 new families to teach this week?  I have been praying that you would meet your goal.  How did the zone do?
Well, we tried really hard, but we just found one. We had a lot of zone stuff to do this week, so we didn’t get as much time as we wanted to to work in the area, but this week I think we will be able to find more families. In the zone we increased our baptismal dates by 350 percent, which was a really awesome achievement. We are very happy with the zone right now.

Is this the first time for Elder Vasquez to be a zone leader?
Yes. I am training his as a zone leader. He is a really good companion though, and we are getting along well.

Well, time is running out. Sorry the email was a little short. I love you guys, and I love my mission. I am excited to continue working for the Lord this week.
Love,
Elder WInn

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment