Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Future Is Always Bright For The Faithful

Pretty spectacular.
Sunrise in San Jose Peten Guatemala
It is amazing to me that I can receive a picture of a
sunrise that my son watched this morning
from a small city
in a jungle region
of a different country.
Isn't technology something?
My mom reminds me that all she got was a letter that would take two or three weeks to get
to her with news that was long since past.
And by the time her answers to that letter were sent a month would have gone by.
I'm sure she thinks I'm spoiled.
Well I am.
And I am grateful for every megabyte of technology
I receive.
I am a thankful missionary mom.
I only wonder what Jack's son will have access to in the future.
What amazing things will help the work
and connect our hearts.
I hope that I can call him spoiled and talk about how hard it was for me
with only emails and pictures
in the good ole days.

Hey guys! 
Thanks for your emails. It looks like we’re all moving on to different chapters of our lives. It can be sad at times, but it’s also exciting. I know that the end of my mission is coming up, even though i don't think about it that often. Even though its coming, and even though it’s sad, it’s also exciting to be able to move on. The future is always bright for the faithful.
                Well, this morning we woke up early, when it was still dark, quickly got dressed, and made the small hike to a cliff that overlooks Lake Itza so see the sunrise. Of course this was all done in my new area in the beautiful town of San Jose Peten! What an amazing place to be in. After having been in the capital for 14 months it makes this place look even more amazing. I don't know why i love this place so much, but i do. I started my mission here, and now i get to end my mission here. The sunrise was absolutely beautiful.
                We left Wednesday at about 2, and got to peten pretty late in the night. We went in a bus, and it was not bad at all. It was air conditioned, and it had comfortable seats, and it was a charter bus. It costs 20 dollars a person, and i was able to sleep. I bet if we went in a bus we would be able to sleep, and we would save alot of money. The bus wasn't even very full either, and there's alot of gringos that go on them.
                Thursday morning we packed our bags in the micro bus that goes to San Andres, and we got there in about 45 minutes. I remember every bit of the ride there. Once I got to San Jose I was flooded with memories. I was here about 19 months ago, and it was such a great experience for me.
                I’ve visited all the members that i knew, and they couldn't believe that i was back in San Jose. They were all very excited to see me and i was very excited to see them. Being here again is probably one of the strangest experiences that i have been through in my mission. I have so many great memories of this place. We visited alot of the people that i taught.
                We also visited my old converts. That has been a happy and sad experience. They are inactive. I hope to be able to take some time here to help them out. I love them all, and to see them fallen away from the Church is a sad thing for me. It’s almost difficult for me to teach them, now as inactive members, but i am trying to stay happy when i am teaching them. They are not as happy as they were when they accepted the Gospel. My converts here were the following/  Luki, Juanita, Edwin, Clara, Seidel, and the Ax Family.  Some of them are more receptive than others. Some of them ignore me. Others have fallen bitterly away from the church. There will be some challenges, but i am here to do all that i can.
                There’s so many cool stories to tell, and so little time to tell them in these emails. The good news is that you guys will be able to see what this place is like when you come here in a little more than 5 weeks. =)
                Well, Question time! And Schedule planning time!
What is your companion's name? 
Elder Rivera
Where is he from? 
El Salvador.
How long has he been on his mission?
This is his second change. He is pretty new on the mission. We get along very well, and its fun to be with a new missionary because it reminds me of when i first came here. He speaks English fluently, and we go in and out of talking English and Spanish during the day.
Describe your living conditions there?  Are you living in a member's home, or in an apartment?
We’re living in a members home. The living conditions have notably dropped compared to the capital. First, it is WAY WAY HOT HERE! I’m drinking about 3.5 liters of water a day, and i sweat it all out. The house is made of cement, and is 1 room, including the bathroom. I am used to it though because its the same house i was living in when i first got here. There is no hot water, but there isn't a need for hot water anyways. There's actually a need for a water cooler. The water comes out pretty hot because of the sun.

Is there a lot of walking in your area, or are there buses for transportation?
There is alot of walking. Theoretically the border of Mexico is in my area, but i don't think we will be able to make it up there. Yesterday we talked about 15 kilometers. We walk alot.

Are there fast food restaurants there, or are you on your own for all of your cooking now?
In my area no. In Flores there is burger king, and pizza hut. We are going to eat pizza after this. =)

Who are you teaching?  Tell us a little about them.
Other than all my less active converts, we are teaching a family. Their names are Alfredo and Candy. They like the message but don't want to go to church. We also are teaching a mother names Marili, who has been going to church, but says she isn't ready for baptism. I'm still pretty new to the area, so i am getting to know all the people that the other missionaries were teaching.

8. What about the proposed schedule I just wrote?
 Sounds great! I think it will work

9. Best food/worst food? (as if I wouldn't ask that!! nerent)
Best food wassssss Taco Bell!! Big surprise. Worst food. Some rice we made. It came out hard and gross.
10. What words of advice and counsel can you give your favorite mother?
Other than nerent! I would say that you should pursue some of your interests, because you have alot of talent, like in photography. You would make a very good photographer. =)
Well, My time went out very quickly today! I have alot more to write, but i will have to write it next week. I am recording all my experiences in my journal. =) Thanks for all the emails and love. Stay happy, even when there are changes. We kids love you guys alot, and just because we aren't living in the house anymore, doesn'tisn't our home. It will always be. =) mean that 8110 myrtle lane
I love you guys very much, and am very happy to be in Peten again.
I have a strong testimony of the Gospel. I know it is true.

Love,
Elder Winn

No comments:

Post a Comment