Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Monday, August 2, 2010

I will always take a part of this country with me.

Elder Winn climbed a mountain today on his P-day
(short for preparation day; the half day they have to email, shop, clean and laundry)
Why?
Because it was there.
He took his machete with him.
(There's a sentence I never thought I would write about one of my children)
The best part is that he took a little video clip on top of the mountain.
( where it was safe to take out his camera)
I laughed, I cried, I worried a little.
(I still haven't decided on one emotion yet.)
The best part is that I got to hear his voice.
(with just a hint of a Guatemalan accent)
I really miss that.


So I thought I'd share with you.
Enjoy.
I know that I will
over and over and over and
over.
Hey everyone!
How’s it going? Thanks for the emails! That was pretty funny about dad asking how the refrigerator works. Lol. You just have to plug it in. =)
                 Well, this morning started with an adventure. There is a big mountain close to our area that I have been looking at for the past 5 months. I have always wondered if I could climb it, and today we decided to take the challenge. We woke up at 4 30 and started the climb. We got lost many times, and there wasn’t a trail, just Guatemalan jungle, so we brought my machete and hacked a path up. It took four hours, but was well worth it, because the view was beautiful. You could see almost all the Capital, and all of my area. Guatemala is a really beautiful country.
                 This week went be really fast. I did some baptismal interviews, but they didn’t pass because they were drinking coffee. They seemed to understand though, and they didn’t get upset. They should be baptized this coming week. I’ve been in some awkward baptism interviews. Some people don’t really don’t like getting their baptism postponed.
                 This week we found 24 people to teach, which was great, because usually we only find 10. Most of them were references from the Gonzalez family. They are progressing nicely. We invited them to baptism. They didn’t accept, but they didn’t reject either. This week they weren’t able to go to church because they had to visit sick family out of town.
                 We have a baptismal date with Miguel and Jesus, who are two sons of Leonardo and Araceli. They are progressing well, and should be baptized this month.
What helped us find all these people was service. That was one of the things we learned about in the training meeting. We talked about how Ammon gave service, and how it helped him with success. It is a great way of finding people.
For the last few weeks I have memorized a scripture each day. Supposedly if I do it for 2 years I will have a photographic memory. We’ll see how it goes. I write the scriptures on a note card, and usually memorize them on the bus. I enjoy the activity.
Lets see, what else. I have 8 weeks left of my mission, and this change has gone by really quickly. I feel both excited, and nervous about going home. Not that I am worried about what I am going to do, or life at home, but I am concerned that I will be able to do everything I need to do here in Guatemala. I really love my mission, and to have it end is something that is a little sad. But I will always take a part of this country with me. I have learned so much here, and I have put in all my effort. I haven’t been perfect, but I have really tried to serve the Lord with all of my heart, might, mind and strength. These next couple of weeks will be great. I am excited, because I know that I can still do a lot in 8 weeks.
Well, I am running out of time, so it is Question Time!

1. Did you ever ask the President which hotel he stays in Peten?
No I forgot to ask. We can just get there and book a room there. I'm sure it doesn’t fill up. Not too many people brave Guatemala.


2. I have been reading the daily blog for the Royals Peru trip to pick up David and have thought about what gifts to bring. I will get the candle for Sister Christy and some CTR rings and some oil vial key chains but how many of each?
CTR rings?: Hmm. I still have a few, but you could bring some. I don’t know how many. =0
Oil vials: Like, 5
Gospel Picture books: Um. Like 5 or 10. =0
Possibly coloring books and crayons for kids?: Yes, good idea
Someone said that the primary children needed colored pencils?: maybe
Any other gift ideas?:
Temple recommend holders. Pictures of Christ, and the Temple. It can be Guatemala or Salt Lake. They like the both of them.,

3. Does you awesome amazing mother ask too many questions within a question?
Nerent to her!
4. Best thing you ate/worst....you know I HAVE to ask it every week it is my favorite....
Best thing I ate was a tub of cream cheese with some caramel sauce on it. It was almost like a cheese cake. =)
Worst thing, was Chow Mein. I hate that dish here.
 5. How come you were outside at 9pm in Zone 18 but you didn't think that that RM and his parents should be...hmmmmmmmmm....nerent to you.
I’m always out at that time…. Lol. Usually not actually, but sometimes. =)

Well, thanks for all your love. I think you guys are awesome.
I want you to know that I have a strong testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have seen it change lives, and I know that the Church is true, and that it is directed by Christ Himself. The Book of Mormon is true. I know that what I am doing here is the work of the Lord.
Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Winn

No comments:

Post a Comment