Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Monday, May 10, 2010

Fancy Towel Technology

I had to chuckle at Jack's final email to me today.
Since I didn't have too much to say,
since we talked quite a bit yesterday.....(heavenly)
my email was extraordinarily boring.
It was the MOTHER of all boring emails
and trust me I have sent some doozies.
I was racking my brain to ask him questions.
I decided to ask him what every mother does
when she wants her missionary to know that he is loved
and she still desires to take care of him
(even though the Lord is doing the majority of that now)
"Do you need anything?"
"Can I send you anything?"
"How about towels...those new microfiber ones that the other cool mothers are sending their sons"
"Would you like some of those?"
Here was his reply,
oh, i am good on towels. i don't need any fancy towel technology
lol
well have a great day!
i hope you had a great mothers day
thanks for the pizza!
i love you!
jack

I laughed out loud.
Laughing is always good for us missionary moms.


Hey everyone!
Well, it was great to hear from you guys! Calling home has always been some of the days I most look forward to. It was really nice talking to you guys, and it’s sounds like everything is great at home. I talked to Megan too, and she is doing well. We’re still in a feud though. Lol mln
The only bad thing about the phone calls, particularly the Sunday calls, is that i don’t have much to say now! =) But that’s okay. Elder Dunkley and I spent the morning cleaning and reorganizing the hose. We don’t like the idea of scorpions living with us. We deep cleaned the refrigerator and the stove, which took awhile. Last night we watched the Restoration movie with a less active in our ward. I like that movie a lot.
                Oh, I told mom yesterday, but the nephew of Ana Garcia, and her brother received the Melchizedek Priesthood yesterday. That was pretty exciting. Her nephew, Jesus, is getting ready to go on a mission now. That makes me pretty happy. That will fulfill a goal I have on the mission, which is baptizing a future missionary. Now I fell like what I am doing here will last another 2 years. Anyways, it’s great to see converts receive the Priesthood, because when they have that they can serve a wider variety of callings and leadership positions, and they are less likely to inactivate.
                Here in the area we continue to look for families to teach.
Oh, so Saturday they established a new church 3 doors down from our house. It’s pretty annoying because they blast everything on loud speakers and they have a keyboardist who plays the same 2 chords over and over again. And they cry and scream a lot. The churches here are very different than what they are in the states. It’s almost frightening. Anyways, we’ll see how long that church lasts. They usually don’t last very long.
Well, the mission is great. I still have a lot of time here, and I plan on using it all wisely. Thanks for the emails and it was great talking to you. The next time I talk to you It will be in person! Okay, have a great week!
Love,
Elder Winn
 Jack tried to send pictures but couldn't because of the slow internet connection. So I thought I would post a picture of the beautiful table runner he sent to me at Christmas. It is hand done by a lady that was in his ward in Coban.  It is the pattern of her village (not sure if that is the correct terminology). I guess each village has their own distinct pattern. He said that when he told her it was for his mother so said that she would need to make it extra nice. He said that it took her two full weeks of all day sitting on the ground stitching. It is flawless. It is amazing to me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful table runner--such vibrant colors! We had John-Ross buy something for his future bride before he left Italy. It's still wrapped and in my bottom drawer...I'm dying to know what it is!

    Mother's Day phone calls--better than Christmas!

    ReplyDelete