Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Elder Jack Lauck Winn

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn back in Peten

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Elder Winn in Llano Largo

Monday, May 31, 2010

Volcano, Tropical Storm and little miracles

I had myself all prepared for no email today...
But of course since I did...it came.
I am not complaining..
Definitely not complaining.
I googled a picture of the volcano Pacaya so I could see it without lava shooting out.
So I could remember that things there are calm once more.
Now if I could only get the lady in his ward to quit picking on him......

Hey everyone!
                Thanks for the emails, and all of the concerns. Don’t worry, because we are all doing well here. Today the sun came out, which was great. I thought that would never happen.
                Well, this week was the exciting natural disaster week! It was kind of a cool experience, because now I will be able to say I lived through a volcano eruption, even though the volcano is pretty far from where I live. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see it erupt, but I did see all the tons of ash that fell down. It was kind of a funny story. We had just got back into the house, and I was washing dishes, when I hear the lady downstairs screaming that the sky is falling. She-s kind of crazy at times, so I got a good laugh out of it, until I realized that the sky really was falling! It definitely was a very interesting experience. It was raining black sand for a good few hours. I put some in a little bottle to take home and show you all. So, then I got back inside and realized that I got a bunch of the sand, ash stuff in my hair, so I went to take a shower to get it out. Let’s just say that when volcanic ash gets in your hair, it doesn’t come out! I think it’s still in my hair.
                The next morning was spent trying to sweep it up, which was a task, because it was raining, and when the ask gets wet it’s really sticky. It took a good while to get everything cleaned out, and afterward it started raining and more ash was washed where we had cleaned. It-s going to be a while before this all gets cleaned up.
                So, the next day we wake up and it’s raining pretty hard, and I figured it would stop in the afternoon. We went to our meeting with the ward mission leader, and then worked a few hours, all of which it poured rain on us. Then we had lunch, and I fully expected the rain to stop, or at least lighten up, but it didn’t! We went out anyways (I had no idea about any tropical storm. I didn’t think Guatemala got those often.) Well, we worked all say in the pouring rain, and we got absolutely soaked, but I didn’t really think much of it. The river where we live got really big though. Anyways, we get home about 8 and there’s like 100 missed calls from the Assistants telling us that we all need to be inside and that we needed to call everyone and get a report of their houses and the flooding. That’s when I realized that it was a little more than a small storm.
                We ended up working yesterday though. There wasn’t any church, but there wasn’t any rain. We couldn’t have church meetings because the government declared the country a disaster zone. Today we have to help clean up some more though.
                The volcano and storm was pretty bad timing, but I kept thinking to myself this weekend that the damage and severity of the storm wasn’t anything like some of the hurricanes we’ve seen. Hurricane Ike was pretty bad. If a storm like that ever came here thousands of people would die. We’re pretty lucky that it wasn’t that bad.
                The good news is that I live on top of a giant hill, so there won’t ever be any flooding where we are.
                Well that’s the disaster report. Pretty exciting. On the day of the tropical storm, we visited a member lady who recently inactivated. She is one of the rudest people I know, but I feel bad that she’s inactive, so we’re trying to visit her to get her to come back. The worth of every soul, even the rude ones, is great in the eyes of God. Anyways, she’s always mad at me because I told her we can only visit her when there’s another guy in the house. I’ve been trying to be very obedient with that rule, even though it’s one of the hardest, and most of the missionaries in the mission don’t follow it. Anyways, she’s always telling me about how all the other disobedient missionaries have been so great, and that I have been so awful and that people leaving the ward is partly my fault. Anyways, we got a member to come with us, and that day she was being particularly offensive. I started to get a little mad at her, so I said a prayer that I would be able to keep my patience. Right as I ended my prayer is started raining really heavy, and the roof was made of tin, so I couldn’t hear a word she was saying. I just saw her moving her mouth for the next few minutes without being able to hear a thing. I laughed to my self in the moment, knowing that God had answered my prayer. I thought it was pretty funny.
                There’s actually a lot to write this week, but very few time to write it all! Another cool story that I have to share. Early this week it was very hot, and it was in the middle of the day, and I needed a bag of water, which is what they use to sell water in,  so I went to the little store they have here, and I guess they thought they could rip me off because they tried to charge me double price, and all I had was enough for the normal price. Well, I refused to buy it, and walked away thirsty and a little twirped. As we were walking though, a random stranger came up to me and gave me a bag of water, telling me he had an extra and that I looked thirsty. Then he left. I-ve never had any stranger give me anything before, and I thought it was a cool experience. It reminded me of that scripture in the Bible when Christ tells his Apostles not to worry about their physical needs, because they will be taken care of. I definitely feel like that here. My needs are always taken care of.
Well, that-s all that time lets me write today! I didn’t get to question time, nor did I get to write about my companion, but that will give us something to look forward to next Wednesday! Lol
                Well, the Church is true, and I love my mission. I know that what I am doing is the right thing to do. Thanks to everyone for their love and support, and for all the people who read my email who aren’t members of my Church, please take the time to examine my beliefs, and the things that I am teaching the beautiful Guatemalan people.  www.mormon.org
If you have questions ask me!

Love,
Elder Winn

No comments:

Post a Comment